Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Jours 25-27

Bonjour tout le monde!
Jours 25-27
May 15- May 18

These past days have been great! On Monday I had to take my test in the morning which is never fun, but the feeling after it was done was great! Monday (the 15th) was another jour férié so we didn’t have class again! I love it here in France with all of the national holidays. My roommate was still taking her test so I went over to La Défense by myself and did the walk there since she had already done it. Then I met up with other friends and we tried to do the flea market walk but then it started raining and so we just walked around a little bit. I had also been craving a warm, soft cookie for forever so I caved and went to subway to get them. After, my friends and I went shopping a little bit and I found a hand-me-down leather jacket for five euros, I was so excited!
At the flea market
So a little bit of Parisian fashion (because obviously I am so knowledgeable in this aspect). Everyone wears dark clothes. My friend says it’s because everyone in Paris is defeated and then are never happy. Also, everyone wears leather jackets. Okay, well obviously not everyone but it is definitely very popular right now. When packing for France I packed a lot of sundresses, which happened to be in bright colors. Unfortunately for me, here it is quite cold and If I ever wore any of them I would stand out like a sore thumb as a tourist. It is so funny to see the difference between what tourists wear and what true Parisians wear. Therefore, I was so excited when I got my five euro jacket, and I feel like a true Parisian when I wear it.
A stalker photo... I know. But she's wearing all black, with super colorful tennis shoes. The perfect Parisian.


That Monday night we had Family Home Evening at the church. I love FHE because we get to interact with a lot of French young adults, and it’s also a free dinner which is wonderful. It’s funny though because the dinner is very American because for some reason it’s always the American moms that make it.
On Tuesday, We did another walk, #11. It was a pretty short walk and it was really fun because we met up with this girl Janee, who went to BYU and is doing an internship here in Paris. We talked with her for a while and hung out at the end of our walk in the little Roman Colosseum which was super cool. Also I bought a delicious small baguette with chocolate chips and it made my day. Melissa and I did a little grocery shopping and then made it back just in time for dinner.
Being super content with my life and my baguette
A little bit of culture here about French dinner. There are four main courses: The soup and salad, the main dish (sometimes there are two), the cheese and bread and then the dessert. Sometimes people get really fancy and wine and nuts before the first course. So every time I eat dinner I swear I eat so much food. Also, I love bread and I love French cheese. So far I have had brie, comté, roche something, Camembert and I still haven’t figured out what the green and red cheeses are called. It is just all so amazing, and they put it on pizza too which is delicious!
Wednesday was also a really fun day. I started my day out early by meeting Jacqueline for a nice breakfast next to the Notre-Dame. 
Meeting up with jacqueline at Notre Dame!
I went to class, and then we did walk # 16 at Montmarte. I actually really loved this walk and I would have loved it a lot more had it not started pouring half-way trough. At the beginning of this walk we are able to see the Wall of Love, which is a wall where I love you is written in nearly every single language.
The Wall of Love
We were able to go up to the top of the Sacré-Coeur and we had the most beautiful view of Paris. We also had a dance party up there which was one of my favorite things I’ve done in Paris. After we went up to the top my friend Julien met up with us and went on the rest of our walk with us. It was really cool to have a native French speaker with us that we could ask how to say things! However, it did start to pour rain and so that wasn’t very fun at the end.
Notre-Dame made of chocolate
We passed by this place on our walk today
Another fun fact, here in Rueil-Malmaison they found a mummy. It is possibly the oldest mummy ever found and my host mom is very excited about it because she works in culture here. Also, the curator of the louvre is coming to check it out and my host mom could not be any more excited. I think it’s actually pretty awesome! These past couple of days have been awesome and I am so excited to go to Barcelona tomorrow! Hopefully the strike doesn’t mess up our plans!
À Bientôt,

Claire Hunsaker

No comments:

Post a Comment