Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Promenade #17: Small Buildings Need not Apply: La Défense

Bonjour tout le monde!
May 16, 2016
Today was a jour férié, which means national holiday, and so I decided to do walk number seven. The walk was in La Défense, the first place I went to in Paris with my host family.
The walk started in the Esplanade de la Défense. From here one can see all of Paris and there is an amazing view of the Arc de Triomphe.
It's hard to see if from this picture, but across this pond is a view of the Arc de Triomphe.
I made way across a small bridge to find the Grande Mosaïque fountain.
The Grande Mosaïque
After, going under a small statue of a man called “sleepwalker,” I found myself at a brightly colored tower made of 672 colored tubes. This tower was super cool and if you’re there with your friends it is the perfect back-drop for some fun photos.
The Sleepwalker
The Moretti Tower

I passed by a huge shopping center the “Quatre Temps” which was where I went shopping with my host sister a while ago. Finally I made my way up under the Grand Arche which was crafted in 1989, where the architect stated it was “a modern arc de triomphe built to honor the triumph of humanity.”
The Grand Arche under construction
When I first came to Paris I really did not enjoy this more modern “Manhattan” side of Paris. However, after living here for three weeks it is interesting to see a modern side of town when all of Paris seems so old with so much history in it. Obviously I am glad that not all of Paris is like this, but it was a different side of Paris that is interesting to see.
À Bientôt,

Claire Hunsaker

No comments:

Post a Comment