Saturday, May 14, 2016

Promenade #8: Marais 2: The Jewish Quarter and the Musée Picasso



Bonjour tout le monde!
5/13/2016
Today we fit a lot into our little walk that we did. Our walk started in the Jewish quarter in the Marais neighborhood of Paris. We passed by a Jewish church and school and then headed over to the hôtel de Soubise. While on the way we passed so many falafel stands but I had already eaten lunch so it was another stop we decided we needed to go back to. The hôtel de Soubise is also the home of the French archives, so were able to see many documents but then also see the more ancient mansion/private residence side of things.
The hôtel de Soubise
After we headed on over to the museum Cognacq-Jay. This museum was a smaller museum, and it showcased older interior design that people had in their homes. There was also many beautiful paintings, bedrooms, and also some strange paintings.
In the Cognacq-Jay

The last point of our trip was the Picasso museum. I was really excited to be able to go to this, but when I arrived I realized that I did not yet have the artistic mind to appreciate Picasso. That is to say, all of it just looked like he put just a random things together to make sculptures and his paintings were just random and crazy. Maybe if I knew more about the history, or the significance of these paintings I would appreciate them more, but as for now, it is not a place that I will return to any time soon.
I feel like this sculpture thing accurately describes how I feel about Picasso

Overall this walk had a lot of museum/museum like things which meant it seemed like a very long walk. Still, it was very interesting to be able to see everything and I am glad to have a great place to go back for a falafel.
À bientôt,

Claire Hunsaker

No comments:

Post a Comment