Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Promenade #4: Of Art, War and World's Fairs

Bonjour tout le monde!
5/10/2016
Today I did walk number four. It consisted of Invalides, Musée Rodin, the Eiffel tower and the Petit and Grand Palais. Although it was quite exhausting, I was able to see many of the sites of Paris that I have not seen since I have been here. This walk started between the Grand and Petit Palais. The two palaces were built for the World’s Fair in 1900.
The Grand Palais
The day after I did this walk, I was able to tour the Petit Palais so I felt I should put this experience in this walk. I loved walking through the Petit Palais, and I was able to look at art from different ages that I am currently studying in my French class.
After walking past the two palaces, I crossed the Pont Alexandre III, a famous bridge that symbolizes the friendship between Russia and France.
On the Pont Alexandre III

After a quick lunch stop I headed over to the Musée Rodin. We couldn’t fully enjoy the grandeur of the gardens because it was raining, but we were able to go through the museum. It was a smaller more intimate museum, which was really nice, and drastically different than the other museums that I have been to. It was full of a few paintings and many different sculptures.
One of the rooms inside the Musée Rodin
After the Musée Rodin, I headed out to go to Invalides. There was a demonstration going on that my friends and I had to avoid. I saw Napoleons tomb, and I went into the war museum. I spent a lot of time in the World Wars exhibit, which was really interesting to see the progress of war in the 1900s.
Les Invalides
Napoleon's Tomb


After we headed over to the beautiful Eiffel tower with a little stop at Rue Cler. Overall, it was a day full of great Parisien monuments, and I can never get enough of the Eiffel tower, especially when it is lit up at night.
The Eiffel Tower
(It actually wasn't taken this day, but the day of the walk was too rainy)
À Bientôt,
Claire Hunsaker

No comments:

Post a Comment